Thursday, December 15, 2011

What was the currency in America during the Stamp Act of 1765?

I'm doing a project for U.S. History, and I want to be accurate with the currency. Did they just use Pounds? If you could tell me and give me the symbol, that would be great.|||I'm pretty sure the dollar was in use in the colonies but the not the dollar that's used now. I think it was a subsystem of the British currency, so 1 dollar = in between 5 and 8 shillings. There was also Spanish dollars and Lion dollars around the place in colonies that was previous Spanish or Dutch respectively. There's info on the wikipedia article for "Dollar".|||British money was used both before and after the revolution.


The was a very big shortage of currency back in 1700- 1780.


People used whatever coins they could get. Spanish dollars were very common too.

No comments:

Post a Comment